Monday, February 19, 2018

Lets Play BINGO at Aurora Wings



Today begins a new challenge at Aurora Wings and we're playing BINGO.  This is always a fun challenge with lots of opportunities to get creative.  We're pretty lenient on how you interpret the board.  Yes, you do need to follow a row,



but you can choose any combination within, be it just the colors, just the elements, a combination, or both.  WooHoo!  

I was extremely excited by Mitzi's newest image Ice Flower, available HERE on AW.com and HERE on Etsy and had to use her IMMEDIATELY.  She speaks to my childhood, and also to the current Winter Olympic Games, so I've followed that theme using the middle row down of yellow, pink, blue as well as glitter, die cuts and layers.



Here's a closeup of Ice Flower prior to fussy cutting.  She's colored with Copics with Stardust Stickles adorning her costume for extra sparkle. Her gorgeous layback position certainly captures the beauty and drama of the sport.



My original plan was to do the Olympic Rings in the original colors and do a Bingo color "blackout".  But the primary brights left 4 more colors to address, with purple and pink for her costume.  All together it just didn't fly so plans changed and I opted for just the middle row down instead.

I then made the Olympic Rings using Spellbinders Circle dies out of pale yellow glitter paper which was a bit too pale against the soft blue background DP so I backed each with matte gold metallic to make them stand out a bit more.  Then I positioned Ice Flower to look like she is not only embracing the Olympic Games, but reaching for gold.  The Amy Design Wintertide die hanging from the corner is another nod to the Winter Games, but also could be a hair ornament or crown for these exquisite athletes.



I added an icy swirl (also from the Wintertide collection) in blue to suggest speed and movement on the ice and carry that color through a bit more.  How convenient that I found DP with a white glitter bottom to suggest the ice gradually turning to pale blue with glitter snowflakes for the background of my piece.  Finally, I'd planned to use the sentiment "Dream" but found "Believe" on my desk, already cut in pink.  Even better!   If you don't believe in yourself, how can you ever hope to achieve your dreams?



Now, on a personal note...  Ice skating is dear to my heart because I took lessons from the time I was 5 until age 12.  It was a special Daddy and daughter time.  Here's a picture at an outdoor rink when I was just starting to skate (circa 1959 or early 1960).  I still have the sweater he's wearing and it actually fits me now.  LOL  (He was kind of a little guy)  My Dad was a fabulous skater, an ice dancer actually, and I always felt so special skating with him.  He even built a rink in our backyard for me to practice on for years when the weather permitted.  Very fond memories but I better stop now.  Getting kind of teary eyed.  Once a Daddy's Girl, ALWAYS a Daddy's Girl.  xxx

Please be sure stop by the AW Challenge Blog to welcome my new teamies and enjoy the fabulous inspiration there.  We hope you have a chance to join in, as well, since our challenges are now monthly with a mid-challenge inspiration coming up on March 5th.


Here's how to keep up with all that's happening at Aurora Wings.

Aurora Wings Challenge Blog (current challenge runs through March 17th)

12 comments:

  1. Donna, this is so BEAUTIFUL!! I love what you did with the Ice Flower image - what an exquisite coloring! And what you did with the Olympic rings, instead of using those colors and opting for soft golden tones, is genius! It all comes together and celebrates the elegance, beauty, and all the hard work that goes into the sport perfectly! And what a fabulous picture of you and your Dad there. Thank you so much for sharing your fond memories on this post. I got a little teary eyed reading it. ^_^ So sweet that you still have your Dad's sweater. Thank you so much for this fabulous inspiration for today's Bingo challenge kick-off at Aurora Wings. Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this si so great card!
    its so nice to have memories and thinks that are dear to you.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooooo beautiful!!!!
    Thanks for joining us
    Ana Isabel Dt Coordinator at Corrosive Challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning card and such a beautiful post Donna. Full of heartfelt memories!
    Laine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! what a fabulously put together card, the skater is a fabulous image, great idea to incorporate the Olympics.
    YEP! once a Daddy's girl always a daddy's girl, even after 40 years gone as in my case.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is wonderful and creative. Thank you so much for participating this week at the Mod Squad Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a fabulous card and brilliant job incorporating the rings on your card.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THIS CARD, Figure skating is my favorite part of the Olympic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The card soo out of the box and fabulous. You always amaze me with your creation!! I love to read the extra story about your childhood too, Donna! Make me know you even more. And your father are so sweet! Make me missed my dad too. Cause i live far away from him right now. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, this card is fantastic. I love how you incorporated in the Olympic rings. I was also touched by your ice skating memories with your father. Isn't nice to have such good memories of parents? Mine are of my father teaching me to water ski at the age of 4. We were a very athletic family. Thanks for joining us this week at QKR Stampede! Julie, DT member

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna what a sweet card and I too loved to skate. I learned to skate on a lake. Loved to hear your story. Your card is so pretty and love your coloring. Thanks for joining us at the Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenges for our latest challenge.  {Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenges}Good luck and join us again soon. Hugs, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card! Gorgeous image and love how you incorporated in the Olympic rings

    Thank you for sharing with us over here at Classic Design Team Open Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Hesters DT for  http://classicdesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!