Monday, March 20, 2017

New Challenge at Aurora Wings



Our new challenge starts today at Aurora Wings and I'd say for some (like me!) it may be quite the challenging one. It's a Sketch Challenge (EEK!) and here it is.  WARNING:  I'm afraid this might me a really chatty post for all kinds of reasons, so grab a cuppa (or ignore me all together and just look at the pretty pix).



Now fortunately I've been playing in a sketch challenge fairly regularly to overcome my fears and also get the hang of not necessarily following the sketch to the letter. (Yeah, I'm sort of a "play by the rules" kind of gal.)  However, I knew I wanted to use the gorgeous new Crimson Blossoms (available HERE on Etsy and HERE in the AW Digi Shop) and exactly the papers I wanted to use, so a pretty literal interpretation of the sketch was in order.  

Three of the 4 patterns I used came from the Bo Bunny Serenade 6x6 collection, and because the green prints from that stack were either too dark, or the pattern scale was off, I chose a scrap from my desk that filled the bill.  I was particularly thrilled with the dark background with the corner details that provides not only a dramatic base for the design, but also filled two of the corners without confusing the sketch too much.  It also provided a nice color scheme for Crimson Blossoms.  Although I had already planned to do the poppies in red, the gold worked well for her ear wing.



The only down side is that the paper is 6x6" which meant the image was going to have to be pretty darn small to fit everything in. Crimson Blossoms was printed to fit in a circle with only a 3 1/2" diameter.  EIYIYI!

This closeup shows my first step in completing the coloring and done totally with Copics.  At this size there were some areas I was unsure of.  Sometimes it's hard to tell with a fabulous flowing design like this just exactly what is what, so I find no shame in referring to the artist's colored version, or to those of the Design or Showcase Teams. That's what they're there for, inspiration, and often times clarification of a particularly detailed image.  I do admit I had to color in stages because at this size my eyes got a little buggy after awhile. I actually recommend it, because stepping away from your work gives you a fresh eye to fine tune your coloring. I also often take pix along the way to see how certain colors photograph (especially purples) so I can adjust if necessary.  

In this first shot though, I thought was done, but when I went to watermark and saw it in a huge size in my photo editing program, there were areas I'd missed, or needed more blending, or additional shading, so it was back to the drawing board.



This is the "after", which may not look that much different in this size, but after blending a bit and cleaning up some areas, I went in with some Prismacolor pencils for a little more shading and filling in gaps where I was afraid of bleeding from markers.  Make sure you're DONE with your markers before pulling out your pencils or you may end up ruining your tip.


Here is the finished Crimson Blossoms finally cut out with a Spellbinders Circle and lightly inked with Brushed Corduroy Distress while still in the die.  The red Lacy Circle really set her off, don'tcha think?



Here's the dimensional shot. Dimension?  Yeah, I thought one of the ways to personalize a sketch was to add some dimension so I've popped four of the layers, the floral mat (cut with Spellbinder's Deckle Rectangles, BTW), the striped piece, the Lacy Rectangle and Crimson Blossoms.  I've also used several colors of foam in black, sort of a dark beige and red.  I make my own by buying sheets of fun foam in a number of colors and apply 3" 3M transfer tape to both sides in strips so I can cut any size and shape I want.  I also find that it disappears when viewing your project from the side, especially if you choose the color of the bottom layer for your foam when popping.

So there ya go.  Hope you will visit the Challenge Blog and see my Aurora teamies' lovely takes on our sketch and join the fun.



And by the way, this coupon is good through the end of TODAY at both the AW Etsy Shop and AW.com.

There are now 2 Exclusives available at the AW Digi shop at Aurora Wings.com that you won't want to miss.


Here's how to keep up with all that's happening at Aurora Wings.

Aurora Wings Digi Shop (newly revamped!)




15 comments:

  1. Beautiful Donna. I love the flowers in her hair and the floral paper. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous take on the sketch, Donna! Love the stunning palette inspired by the pretty paper. Amazing you colored the image at such a small size. Love your coloring with poppies in focus (clean edges) and leaves and flowy bits in green. That gives the image a lovely balance and focus. Your posts are always full of great tips. I always learn something new. Thank you so much for this breathtaking inspiration for our latest challenge at Aurora Wings. Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! It is like Art Nouveau style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful - love the rich colours you've used.

    Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Regards,
    TTCRD DT
    Made by Helen{My Blog}
    Through The Craft Room Door
    ttcrd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW WOW WOW Your colouring is just absolutely amazing and stunning. Fabulous work here. I just love it. Thank you for sharing with us over here at Classic Design Team Open Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
    [Annette Registered Owner/Admin for Classic Design Team Challenge]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back again, and again, just gorgeous work. Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge


    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning Donna. Love your colouring and attention to detail xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love this beautiful project Thank you for sharing with us over here today at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Michelle DT for http://classicdesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous card and beautiful colouring
    Thank you for sharing with us over here at Classic Design Team Open Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Hesters DT for  http://classicdesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great image and lovely coloring. Love the contrast and bold colors. Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card- the image and the patterned paper are perfect together. Thanks so much for sharing your creation with us over at the Crafty Creations Challenge Blog.
    Kristina DT

    Crafty Creations Challenges Blog
    Cards by Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful coloring!!! Thanks for joining our challenge at Inspiration Destination I hope you’ll join us next time again.
    Jolanda
    (DT member)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello… Thanks for joining our ‘Anything Goes’ challenge with your lovely card… Beautiful colouring... Good luck in the draw and hope you will join us for our next challenge…
    [Diane-Louise DT for Classic Design Team Open Challenge Blog]

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your creation Donna. That image is just stunning. Love your colouring and layout too (as always) Thanks for joining us at Lil' Patch of Crafty Friends. Good luck.
    Lynn aka Lynnpenguin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!